Since my husband and I both adopted a vegetarian (and frequently vegan) diet earlier this year, this has become one of our favorite recipes. This is a modified version of Vegan Yum Yum’s recipe of Italian Rice and Beans. I have made a few modifications of my own. You can always double the recipe if you’re serving more people or want some leftovers for lunch:)
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
2 Cup Brown Rice, uncooked
1 Can Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, sliced julienne style
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
2 Large Handfuls of Baby Spinach
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp chopped fresh Italian herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary are my faves)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1) Cook rice with water. I use a rice steamer. Set and forget! If not, prepare the brown rice according to the package instructions.
2) Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium. Once heated, add sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, minced garlic and Italian herbs. Cook until pine nuts are toasted, stirring occasionally. It’s okay if the tomatoes get a little charred.
2) Add drained beans and balsamic vinegar to skillet. Season with salt. I usually drizzle a little bit of lemon juice in at this point, but save the rest for later.
3) Add spinach and allow to wilt for a minute or two.
4) Add cooked brown rice to the skillet. Continue to stir to combine all ingredients until the spinach is completely wilted and incorporated.
5) Season with rest of the lemon juice and salt as desired. Serve up in a bowl and enjoy!
*My husband sometimes likes to put fresh grated Parmesan cheese on the finished product.